During your care, a clinician may need to examine you. Occasionally this may involve an examination of intimate areas. We at the walk in centre understand that this can be stressful and embarrassing.
If this sort of examination is necessary:
- We will explain to you why the examination is necessary and give you the opportunity to ask questions
- We will explain what the examination will involve
- We will obtain your permission before any examination is carried out
- You will be offered a chaperone to be present during the examination
- At all times we will respect your privacy, both during the examination and whilst dressing and undressing
Please ask at reception if you would like a chaperone present during your examination.
What is a Chaperone?
A chaperone is a person who has a role to witness both a patient and a medical practitioner and to be a safeguard for both parties during an examination or procedure. The exact role of a chaperone will vary according to the clinical situation.